Language Translator

Friday 22 July 2011

Second Scilly WESTERN CONIFER SEED BUG!!


WESTERN CONIFER SEED BUG 



  I had just published the blog with the title 'Very quiet at the moment' when Mick called to say that he had the second WESTERN CONIFER SEED BUG to be recorded on Scilly!! I immediately made a move and was at Mick's house with in minutes. The first WCS Bug was discovered just around the corner from this one at Sunnyside Farm, October of last year found by Mel Bellingham.
  Mick had also trapped a Sand Dart in the moth trap overnight and both these species I had never seen before. So, in the end in turned out to be a pretty good day!

WESTERN CONIFER SEED BUG in Mick's garden at Longstones 



Only 2-3 Sand Darts are normally trapped a year in Mick's garden 

  At Porth Hellick there were 4 Greenshank and the Common Sandpiper and a single Sand Martin. A look off the down briefly could only produce a single Puffin and 51 Manx Shearwater. At 21.00 I was in me garden and I could hear 2 Greenshank calling from the NW.   

  Here are a few shots of moths and other things I've observed in the last few days.

Paul Semmens had a very close encounter with 20 Common Dolphin swimming with the Scillonian on his way from Penzance to St Mary's, Wednesday just gone.  

Phlyctaenia coronata in me garden 

White Plume Moth in me garden 

  

BLOXWORTH SNOUT in me garden was only the third Scilly record!  


Adult Grey Heron at Lower Moors 



Slug sp Any ideas? 

 Folks skiing through The Roads with Samson in the background.  
  

No comments:

Post a Comment