Language Translator

Monday 22 October 2018

Long-eared Owl at Lower Moors

This Long-eared Owl showed superbly all day at Lower Moors for everyone that went to see it, even though it obscured by a large branch

  At 07.45 this morning, Robert Gooden put out on the Scilly Bird News WhatsApp that he had the Dusky Warbler in the isolated Sallow at Lower Moors just before the ISBG Hide with a Long-eared Owl in the same bush! After dropping guests off the airport, I had a firthteen minute break before my next plane came in and I raced down to Lower Moors. No sign of the warbler, but there was the owl s partly out in the open obscured by a branch. Returning to airport and I had time to scan the west runway before the plane came in and with the 15+Skylark, I relocated the 2 Richard's Pipit and the Black Redstart. The sun came out and nearly two hours later I was watching the owl again. This time the Dusky Warbler started alarming at the owl and showed well briefly before moving on. I took up Paul Freestone and Brad Dallas, from Southfork, Texas, Cornwall, to the airport and we found the Richard's Pipit had moved to the east of the airfield by the hangers.


 
I tried to get in all kinds of  positions to get a photo of the whole Long-eared Owl and in the last image I was lying on the floor 

The small crowd admiring the owl

The 2 Richard's Pipit were still on the airfield


The Dusky Warbler gave itself away when it started alarming at the Long-eared Owl 

 Mid-afternoon and Adam Hutt decided to adopt a field at Salakee 'Hutts Field' In the space of an hour in the cattle field he found 3 Water Pipit, juvenile Rose-coloured Starling, Red-throated Pipit and a flyover Serin!
  After seeing the Great-white Egret distantly off Bar Point, I made my ways up to Salkee. Here it proved hard work searching through the pipits as the light was so bad and I went birding instead. Of note all I saw were 3 Yellow-browed Wagtail, two on the Porth Hellick loop trail and a single at Trethamellon and later another at Trench Lane.



altogether I had 4 Yellow-browed Warbler today including this bird at Porth Hellick loop trail


Both the Red-eyed Vireo on Bryher and this GREY-CHEEKED THRUSH on St Agnes, were still present today and as you can see from these two images, the thrush is now showing a lot better at Cove Vean. The top photo was taken by Steve Williams and the other by Steve Rowe


Got a Girl is an American musical duo consisting of actress Mary Elizabeth Winstead and music producer Dan the Automator that formed in 2012. The band's first studio album, I Love You But I Must Drive Off This Cliff Now was released in 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment