Language Translator

Thursday 4 October 2018

Probable Wilson's Snipe at lower Moors

This evening Nigel Hudson found this probable Wilson's Snipe at Lower Moors 

  It was great to be out birding with Paul Stancliffe this evening and as we walked across the golf course with Ray Scally and Ren in search of the Buff-breasted Sandpiper that was seen earlier today, I got a call from Nigel Hudson about a snipe that he couldn't rule out being a Wilson's Snipe! However, the others had to get back after we did the airfield and I dropped them off and raced to Lower Moors. On my ways there, I bumped into Rob Stonehouse and Ian Grant, I mean I didn't litailly bump into them with me wagon, I mean, I stopped and pulled over to talk to them to tell them about the snipe. However, before i could say anything, they told me that they had a good looking Snipe for Wilson's on the left of the ISBG Hide. when I arrived it was close to dark but even so you could clearly see which snipe they were talking about from the other 3 Snipe that were also feeding on the scrape. As the light was disappearing quick, I took a lot of pics before being joined by two other birders and I put them on the probable Wilson's Snipe! I know that pics can be deceiving, especially in bad light like now, but as I had the snipe in front of me, observing it at close range, I sent the pics to the main man for Wilson's Snipe, James Lidster, and he came back 'Yeah, it looks good' I came back with 'It looks very good mate and I'm gona put it out as a possible' even though it was way too late for anyone to come and see it now.






Even though the light was goin fast, you can still see the contrast between the probable Wilson's Snipe, right bird and the Snipe. Later on there was a discussion about the bird in question on the WhatsApp group and tomorrow, first thing, the hide will be packed and hopefully we will get the underwing and tail shots that will prove that it's a Wilson's Snipe!! 


I managed to see the Buff-breasted Sandpiper in a field at Telegraph that Matt Naylor found this morning before flying towards the nearby golf course. The next time it was seen was back in the field briefly before flying off never to be seen again. This could be the individual that Bryan Bland had very briefly two days ago on Tresco Great Pool where there were also 2 Pectoral Sandpiper at the same time. Later in the day, the Buffy was very briefly seen at Porth Hellick Beach.



Just across the road from the sandpiper at Telegraph were 2 Spotted Flycatcher.



There have been 2 Water Rail showing out in the open at Newford Duckpond, including this juvenile, where I also had a Firecrest there this morning.

The Lapland Bunting was on the golf course was last seen yesterday



This Tree Pipit on the wire was still at Content yesterday with 100+Meadow Pipit


Up to 6 Whinchat were still in the Standing Stones Field yesterday



Despite it's deformity, this Robin still seemed to be feeding alright 

Last week Dave Grundy trapped 2 Beautiful Marbled Moth on St Agnes Photo by Graham Gordon


Mick Flannery (born 28 November 1983) is an Irish singer and songwriter.
His debut album Evening Train resulted from his time spent studying music and management at Coláiste Stiofáin Naofa in Cork. It featured tracks which had previously won Flannery two categories at the International Songwriting Competition in Nashville, Tennessee, as judged by his idol, Tom Waits. He was the first Irish musician to win in this event.
Flannery's second studio album White Lies was released on 12 September 2008, achieving a top ten position on the Irish Albums Chart. It later went platinum and was nominated for the Choice Music Prize.
The Irish Times placed him at number forty-six in a list of "The 50 Best Irish Acts Right Now" published in April 2009. Also that year Flannery won Best Irish Male at the 2009 Meteor Awards. Influences include Kurt CobainLeonard Cohen and Bob Dylan.

No comments:

Post a Comment