Language Translator

Thursday 1 March 2018

Thailand Day 20 Davison's Leaf warbler

Lots of Davison's Leaf Warbler singing, including this one, mixed in with the odd Claudia's Warbler at 34.5 trail at Dio Inthanon National Park. Also Hume's and Yellow-browed Warbler were in the same area.

  A late start this morning when I arrived at trail 34.5 at 09.30. Thanks to Thai bird photographer, Bun, who gave me a lift to the trail as he was passing on his ways to the summit. This trail I was on continues for miles into the mountains and by the end of the day I had observed everything that was expected to be seen in the forest and I only walked maybe over a mile! It started off slow before a male White-tailed Robin showed well followed by a Brown-throated Treecreeper. 
  In the mile that I had walked, I could hear Yellow-browed Warbler most of the time but when I came to a Y-junction, I could no longer hear the latter species and instead there was another leaf warbler singing. Which one? I had no idea until I played the call of all three species that are to be seen in the National Park and it was Davison's Leaf Warbler, of the White-tailed complex, that reacted to the recording. I also had a single Claudia's Leaf Warbler, of the Blyth's Leaf complex, hanging out with the Davison's.

Brown-throated Treecreeper





I saw up to 5 Davison's Leaf Warbler from the White-tailed complex.

 

It was only when I was later goin through the photos that I could see that this scruffy individual was in fact a Claudia's Leaf Warbler, from the Blyth's Leaf complex, told by the dark undertail pattern.

  This part of the trail was more sparse and further on opened up with scattered Pines where I got a Hume's Warbler, 2 Red-whiskered Bulbul, Mountain Taylorbird and Hill Prinia. I made the short walk back to the forest and for the next few hours I spent on a bend looking over the canopy where I could see birds moving through and in this time, it proved to be very active throughout. This included a good number of species, 3 Long-tailed Broardbill, male Large Niltava, male Little Pied Flycatcher, male Violet Cuckoo, Indochinese Cuckooshrike, Lesser, Yellownape, male White-browed and Chestnut-fronted Shrike Babbler,  Velvet-fronted Nuthatch, 2 Rufus-backed Sibia, 4 Verditer Flycatcher, 2 Speckled Barwing, male Besra and a few Grey-headed Fulvetta and Yellow-cheeked Tit. It pays off sometimes just to stay in one spot for a few hours!

Male Large Niltava

There were 2 Red-whiskered Bulbul

Rufus-backed Sibia

Male Little Pied Flycatcher 

  
Male White-browed Shrike Babbler

  Back on the open road making my ways back to Mr Daeng's, roadside birding included a small flock of Chestnut-flanked and Orential White-eye. A single Black Bulbul with 2 Mountain Bulbul and a Grey-backed Shrike. Martin didn't join me today as he wasn't feeling so good. However, when I returned to Mr Daeng's, I found him in the garden with another birder watching a pair of Black-throated Sunbird and flying overhead, 2 Olive-backed Pipit..




 
This Grey-backed Shrike was very obliging next to the road

Mr Daeng's


And this is the way they get around here

No comments:

Post a Comment