Language Translator

Saturday 3 September 2011

Flava wagtail spp?

Any ideas?

  When I had time this afternoon, I had a quick look for yesterdays flava wagtail in the sheep field next to work. From the horse paddock, I immediatly found it feeding with the 2 Yellow Wagtail. Yesterday when I came across this wagtail, it's pale grey upperparts and white underparts, first gave me the impression of a 1st winter Citrine Wagtail. However, it didn't look right and on the second glance, the head pattern was not right and the wing bars were an off white and not so prominent as that of the latter species. I could see it was a 1st winter Yellow Wagtail, but which one? When it called it sounded like the 2 Yellow Wagtails. I knew that it wasn't Black or Grey-headed Wagtail, as they've got a similer call to Citrine Wagtail. So which flava wagtail is it? Has anyone got any ideas?
  Also in the area there were, 2 Pied and 4 Spotted Flycatcher, 4 Blackcap and 2 Goldcrest. I think most of the stuff was hiding from the rain.






Martin took some footsge of the flava wagtail. You can hear it call when it takes off near the end.

  This morning on the way to work, at Porthloo the juvenile Curlew Sandpiper was feeding with 2 Dunlin, 60+Sanderling and 3 Whimbrel and 7 Mediterranean Gull. A Tree Pipit and Yellow Wagtail flew overhead.



juv/1st winter Mediterranean Gull avoiding the surf

Juvenile Curlew Sandpiper

Up to 3 Whimbrel were at Porthloo

No comments:

Post a Comment