Language Translator

Sunday 24 March 2019

8th ROUGH-LEGGED BUZZARD for Scilly

I arrive back home three days ago, 21st, and two days later I connected with the overwintering juvenile ROUGH-LEGGED BUZZARD over Telegraph thanks to Ren

  While observing 1000s of raptors in Spain last week, news from Scilly was that the overwintering Rough-legged Buzzard was still present on St Martins after first being seen on the 20th November last year by Viv Jackson. I was just hoping that it would stick for just that little longer and it did. I was cleaning me wagon at work when shortly after 11.00, Ren called to say that he had the buzzard over Peninnis heading towards Old Town. For the next ten minutes I was driving all over the shop following instructions on where the bird was from other observers on the Scilly Bird News WhatsApp group. I eventually caught up with the raptor circling over Telegraph/golf course for over a minute before flying north towards Tresco when I lost it behind trees. A few minutes later a Hoopoe was found on St Agnes.
  Before all this happened, there had been a small arrival of migrants and I had 3 Black Redstart at Porthloo with a cracking male at Little Porth. Also a male White Wagtail dropped into the grounds of Star Castle.


I did see the last Rough-legged Buzzard to hit Scilly in October 2001 and as it arrived at the same time as a few yanks, it was thought to probably be a Rough-legged Hawk. Record shots of the Rough-legged Buzzard while circling over Telegraph

 This morning I joined Sgt Paul Freestone who was here for the weekend covering one of the police officers. At Porth Hellick there was an obvious arrival of Chiffchaff but otherwise 7 Sand Martin over the pool were my first of the year. Ren had 7 Wheatear on the airfield. So we went to the golf course and got an equal number with a single Black Redstart. Another 4 of the latter species was at Porthloo and later in the afternoon we returned to Porth Hellick to try and see Rens 3 Willow Warbler he had singing shortly after we left earlier on. No luck and we called it a day. On Tresco the Rough-legged Buzzard and 2 Cattle Egret were still present.

It was good to see the first Wheatear of the year with 7 birds near Carn Gwarvel. At least 30 turned up on St Mary's with 15 Black Redstart



Over 100 Chiffchaff were on St Mary's today including the 40+ that Paul and I had. 

There was also an arrival of Linnet today

Male Stonechat


Jeff" Klein is an American singer/songwriter of the band My Jerusalem from Newburgh, New York, who plays keyboards and guitar. He has released three solo albums and another three albums with My Jerusalem. Jeff Klein has risen to acclaim after the release of his album 'Gone for good' which gave him the necessary boost in the beginning and 'Preachers' which has provided him with an international reach towards some few parts of every continent

No comments:

Post a Comment