Language Translator

Tuesday 25 October 2016

Pallid Swift on St Mary's and Tresco

This Pallas's Warbler at Deep Point showed superbly throughout the day

   T-shirt weather today and mid-morning I got both the Olive-backed and Tree Pipit at Normandy. I had a bit of time before returning to work and as I got out of me wagon at Porth Hellick I immediately heard a Dusky Warbler nearby and a Yellow-browed Warbler above me head. I jumped over the gate and ran across the field to where it was calling. It was still vocal but could I see the damn thing. was it Jim's bird he ringed yesterday just round corner or was a new bird? It was on private land and I called Will 'Greedy' Scott. By the time he arrived the warbler had shut up. however, after I left for work, Will relocated it on the loop trail and it had a ring on it.




Where the Olive-backed Pipit went the Tree Pipit followed

  I returned to Porth Hellick and this time when I got out of me wagon, this time I heard the Great-spotted Woodpecker in the pines at Porth Hellick House. I was talking to Paul Gale who told me that when he heard news of the Hen Harrier earlier on over Porth Hellick, he went into the hide but couldn't see it. I said, try opening the slats. You might have a better chance of seeing it then. Then Martin Goodey came on the radio 'Pallas's still at Deep Point' During the twenty minutes that I was at the latter site, the Pallas's Warbler was always on show performing superbly at close range.
  I also had 7 Yellow-browed Warbler with singles at Deep Point, Newford, Porth Hellick, Porthloo Lane with 3 at Lower Moors where I also had 2 Firecrest and a single Willow Warbler.

  Elsewhere today, the Pallid Swift had moved over to Tresco where there were also 2 Little Bunting. On St Mary's, 2 more Olive-backed Pipit were discovered at Old Town and on Peninnis the Snow Bunting and Wryneck were still present. An Osprey did a tour around the islands.
 
 


 
what a bird!

There were 2 Black Redstart at the airport

The first Dusky Warbler of the autumn was found yesterday in a net at Porth Hellick with another bird later in the day on Tresco

  With the gale force ESE and overnight rain yesterday, it wasn't really a surprise when 2 Olive-backed Pipit, 2 Dusky Warbler, 2 Siberian Chiffchaff, 1 Hawfinch and 4 Pallas's Warbler turned up today with good numbers of Blackcap. Thrown in was a Pallid Swift.

  I started the day at Newford and got 3 Yellow-browed Warbler, 1 Firecrest, 5 Woodcock, 10+Chiffchaff and a Lesser Whitethroat. While walking around, Niall Machin text me that he had found a Pallas's Warbler at Rocky Hills chalets. The first of four on St Mary's. At Porth Hellick Jim had trapped a Dusky Warbler and I got there in time before he released it. I also briefly saw the Reed Bunting nearby and 3 Swallow overhead.


Lesser Whitethroat at Newford

The second time I've seen Dusky Warbler in the hand

  Later in the afternoon at Trenowth, a Woodlark flew east and a quick look in the fields found the lark in sub-song at close range in a private field. I'm goin to change Will 'Greedy Blyth's' Scott (After finding 3 Blyth's Pipit) to just Will 'Greedy' Scott! In the space of two hours he first found a Pallas's Warbler at Salkee, followed by a Olive-backed Pipit at Normandy and in pine belt at Porth Hellick Down, another Pallas's Warbler! Out of all three I saw the pipit in company with a Tree Pipit. While we were there, news broke that there was also a Olive-backed Pipit on Tresco with a Little Bunting and a Pallid Swift was up at Telegraph. We chased the damn swift around the island until it was pinned down over Trewince/Rocky Hills high up with 2 House Martin.
  Throughout the day, there were also seemed to be more thrushes in and I observed a small group fly in off the sea at the east end of the St Mary's, mid-afternoon.



The Woodlark showed well at Trenowth

This Tree Pipit was hanging out with the OBP at Normandy




When I picked up John Gale and co from Newford to twitch Olive-backed Pipit, he had just found a Pallas's Warbler 


Jessica Lea Mayfield (born August 27, 1989) is an American singer-songwriter from Kent, Ohio. She is known for her ominous song writing, with a plaintive minimalist style that draws on both country and rock music. In addition to opening for many artists, including The Black KeysThe Avett BrothersCakeBand of HorsesRyan AdamsRay LaMontagne, and Jay Farrar (Son VoltUncle Tupelo), Mayfield has frequently toured as a headliner, and performed at the Blossom Music Center in Cuyahoga Falls, OH as part of A Prairie Home Companion in July 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment