Language Translator

Saturday 12 March 2016

Surf Scoter on Scilly

I was watching this Wallcreeper over two weeks ago at Ghandruk, Nepal

  While two months working at the village of Ghandruk, Nepal, the internet was intermittent and therefore I could not update my blog until now. My first day back home on Scilly, I made a visit to Tresco. Scanning from South Beach I connected with the 1st winter Surf Scoter in Crow Sound that Robin first found on the 6th Jan. As the scoter was too distant for anyone to positively identify, it was not until 10 days later when Higgo and Joe Pender went out into to Crow Sound and identified it as a Surf Scoter. Higgo also found the last surfer 14 years ago where it showed superbly over the quay wall for a few of us. on the Great Pool, both Iceland Gull were still present, but new in were a Pintail and my fifth Scilly Greylag Goose. There was also a male Wigeon and hopefully the 3 pairs of  Pochard will stay on to breed. Pool Road held good numbers of Goldcrest, 3 Firecrest, 2 Siberian Chiffchaff and only 6 Chiffchaff. 


 Greylag Goose on Simpsons Field. The only other Greylags I've seen on Scilly were 4 birds with 4 Pink-footed Geese also on Tresco







2 Juvenile Iceland Gull on the Great Pool





Male Pintail and female Pochard also on the Great Pool

There were 3 Firecrest on Pool Road

Dunnock




  Returning from Nepal I spent a few days in Salop before making my ways south home. The highlight was an adult Kittiwake at Prisorlee Lake. In four days I saw 3 different Barn Owl including an individual every night on rough ground at Apply Pond, Telford.




Adult Kittiwake at Prisorlee Lake, Salop, 8th March was my first in the county since a flock of 35 that Matthew Webb and I had at Whitemere '95.

2 Male Scaup were at Colemere

Adult Mediterranean Gull roosted at Ellesmere with 3 Yellow-legged Gull, 7th March

  Here are some photos of the birds that I saw in the two months I worked at  Ghandruk/Pokhara area, Nepal,

Black Kite

Ashy-throated Warbler

Ashy Bulbul


Good numbers of Altai Accentor from where I was staying in Ghandruk

While observing the accenter 172 Snow Pigeon were circling overhead



While climbing Poon Hill I had over 40 Beautiful Rosefinch

Grey-headed Canary Flycatcher

I had up to 3 White-crested Laughingthrush at Fishtail Lodge, Pokhara

This Black-eared Shrike Babbler was the only one I observed

Male Blue Pansy

Arriving at the village of Ghandruk

Annapurna South looking from Ghandruk


A cow sheltering from the sun in Pokhara

The peak of Annapurna South



Dusted is a Canadian indie rock band,[1] whose core members are Brian Borcherdt and Leon Taheny. The band released its debut album, Total Dust, on Hand Drawn Dracula on July 10, 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment