Language Translator

Sunday 20 March 2016

Dave the Herring Gull returns!!

No, this is not Dave. A call from Tony got me up to golf course to see this ridiculously tame juvenile Iceland Gull. 

  Today I was planning to go and see the Scandinavian Rock and the overwintering Water Pipit on St Agnes. The former, although a race, is a mega on Scilly! However, Graham had not seen them for the last few days and the bitterly cold ENE made me stay and spend some time at home on St Mary's. I got a lift to Porth Hellick and here there were 10 Chiffchaff and my first 2 Sand Martin of the year. Singles of the latter species have been seen in the last week with 8 on Tresco Great Pool yesterday. Nearby at Carn Friars I got the Mistle Thrush and the only other birds of note were 40+Redwing and 5 Fieldfare. 


This Mistle Thrush has been at Carn Friars for the last four days


Altogether I had 20 Chiffchaff 

  I was at Pelistry when Tony called to say that Will Wagstaff and himself had a juvenile Iceland Gull on the golf course. Ritchie picked me up and left me with the 30 or so Herring Gull and 10 Black-headed Gull on the fairway. He had to return home. No sign of the tarfet species, but as I put my bins down, after scanning, I could see that it was only a few meters away from me! For the next half an hour it gave crippling views by the golf club house. Walking the fairways and I got my first 8 Wheatear of the year. Last Sunday the first one turned up St Martins. This was followed the next day by 5 on St Agnes (with 13 Black Redstart) with singles scattered elsewhere throughout the week. Returning later to catch up with the Iceland Gull and there were now 13 Wheatear. I left Martin with the gull, as I had to get home, and it was obvious the Wheatears were still coming in as Martin had a total of 20 Wheatear.








  






Martin taking advantage of this tame Iceland gull. This is a different individual to the two juveniles I had last week on Tresco.



There were also 10 Black-headed Gull and over 30 Herring Gull 


There were up to 20 Wheatear on the golf course

I saw 3 Black Redstart including this bird at Little Porth


For the last three days this cracking male Black Redstart has been at the airport

Pied Wagtail 

Last Sunday in the warm sun I had 2 Pied Wagtail and the first 4 White Wagtail of the year

Also had my first 2 Peacock on the wing on the same day

And Dave's back for his second year!! He was last seen at the beginning of November last year.


I only have to whistle and appears from nowhere. Here he is on my wagon.


This is stunning!! Verses’ taken from Ólafur Arnalds / Alice Sara Ott – The Chopin Project

No comments:

Post a Comment