Language Translator

Wednesday 23 November 2011

RED-BREASTED FLYCATCHER on the Garrison

A great shot of the 1st winter WILSON'S SNIPE showing off those axillary feathers Will Wagstaff

  This morning, I only had ten minutes to have a look at Lower Moors. In that time, walking from the Rose Hill end, I heard the Yellow-browed Warbler near the hides. In front of the ISBG hide was the 1st winter WILSON'S SNIPE and a Grey Wagtail. Returning, I could hear 2 very vocal DUSKY WARBLER, one of them showed well, and at the same time, there was a Siberian Chiffchaff singing. Also, very small numbers of Redwing, Fieldfare and Chaffinch were moving SSW overhead and nearby there were 25+Linnet. Is there any other sites in the UK where you can see so many good birds like I observed, in ten minutes?


1st winter WILSON'S SNIPE (top photo Will Wagstaff)

  There was only one bird at Newford Duckpond. Except for the Yellow-browed Warbler, everything else seemed to have cleared out. Late in the afternoon, I had a stroll around the Garrison. From approaching the bend at Lower Broom, I could hear a RED-BREASTED FLYCATCHER just ahead of me on the seaward side. Then it flicked up in front of me before darting into cover. I put the news out and it was not until ten minutes later that I saw it again. It was flycatching, silhouetted, staying at the back, calling on and off. Then there was no sight or sound and after a twenty minute wait, I gave up and continued on towards Morning Point. This could be the bird from the Dump Clump as it was only seen this morning.
2 Rusty-dot Pearl were attracted to the outside light at home overnight.


There were 7 Skylark and 3 Meadow Pipit at Content


Looking from the Garrison towards St Agnes and Samson


Ed Harcourt singing 'The Birds will Sing for Us'

No comments:

Post a Comment