Language Translator

Tuesday 22 November 2011

NORTHERN WATERTHRUSH finally gives itself up!

NORTHERN WATERTHRUSH at Lower Moors. Bloody twigs!

  The boss gave me some time off and at mid-day, Mick and Will were coming out of the Dump Clump after seeing the RED-BREASTED FLYCATCHER thats been in the area for the last two days. However, when I ventured in, there was no sign of it. 8-10 Chiffchaffs, Kingfisher and one of DUSKY WARBLERS was calling, that I saw very briefly,  before flying off towards the hides at Lower Moors.
  At the latter site, I met Higgo stumbling out of the Black and White Wood. I asked him 'What yo doin in there?' 'Lookin for pot holes' 'Oh, did yo find any?' We walked towards the hides and bumped into Ian Ellis, a visiting birder from Cambridge. Higgo had over 40 Chiffchaff and 2 Willow Warbler in the Black and White Wood. Very Good! Ian had NORTHERN WATERTHRUSH, WILSON'S SNIPE, 2 DUSKY WARBLER, 1 Yellow-browed Warbler and 2 Jack Snipe. Yes well, and that was all seen from the main path, except for the snipe. Is Higgo to busy with his head down, wiping off all the mud off his boots, when he's done his pot holes in the wood or after he goes through a puddle? It was my turn to go into the Black and White Wood. It was very queit, with the odd Chiffchaff and I was beginning to think, is Higgo any good at counting? I had a good scout in the wood and saw 45-50 Chiffchaff, 1 maybe 3 Siberian Chiffchaff (only one called) 1 Willow Warbler and Yellow-browed Warbler and 3 Blackcap.

All the Chiffchaffs were enjoying the sun

The left leg on this Chiffchaff was broken. However, it seemed to be feeding alright

Up to 2 Willow Warbler were at Lower Moors and Jim trapped another one yesterday at Porth Hellick

Maybe 3 Siberian Chiffchaff were at Lower Moors. Only one of them gave itself away by calling.

  Returning towards the Shooters Pool, at eye level, I saw a movement and raised me bins up. Shite! It was NORTHERN WATERTHRUSH!! Less than a few meters in front of me!! I observed it preening, after having a bath, and it put on a good show before dropping to the deck where I lost it.








After well over a month, it was so good to see the NORTHERN WATERTHRUSH again. Chris also saw it well by the Shooters Pool. It looks like it might be set to winter in this area.

  At 15.30, I was driving up airport Lane, when a swift sp bombed it across the runway and went behind the terminal building and I never saw it again. Although I saw it very briefly, the light was good and it looked very dark. I couldn't see any contrast and how much I would of liked it to be a Pallid Swift, although my latest sighting, I believe that it was just a SWIFT. Will Wagstaff was the only one to see it after me and he too thought that it was just a Swift.

Sunset looking from the health center.


Jim White with a great song 'Static on the Radio' They say he's like Jerry Jeff Walker. I don't think so. He's got his own style. I'll be playing some Jerry Jeff in the next few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment