Language Translator

Sunday 19 December 2010

Cracking footage of SIBERIAN CHIFFCHAFF!


This SIBERIAN CHIFFCHAFF, at Porth Hellick,  showed down to a few meters in front of Paul and I. When I finished recording, the bloody thing started giving it's Bull finch 'type' call! It had stopped when I put the camera back on.

 Got up this morning and felt a lot better. By early afternoon the wind had dropped and the sun appeared and that's when I decided to venture out. Overhead 4 Snipe flew over the house and as I drove past Newford Duck Pond, I couldn't help but see the tame Water Rail by the side of the road. I parked up and it came running towards me with the ducks. I then noticed another Water Rail to my left, but it ran into cover. Just like the damn cat that was hiding under the bench when I arrived. I think these 2 Water Rails wont be be around for long. I bumped into Paul on his farm at Trenowth and while he was talking to me, the Buzzard was being mobbed by 3 Crows just over the pines nearby. I thought it would be a good idea to walk along the coastal path at Bar. Here, there were a lot of Redwings around and a single Whimbrel, Greenshank and Redshank were roosting with 5 Bar-tailed Godwit and 14 Curlew at high tide. Just before 15.00, Higgo called to say that 2 drake GOOSANDERS flew over Porthmellon heading towards town. Back to the taxi to check out the bays. No luck, however, Porthcressa was teeming with stuff. A Grey Plover was the first I've ever seen on this beach. Also feeding at the waters edge included, Redwings, Ringed Plovers, 3 Common Gulls, 20+each of Rock Pipits and Turnstones, 30+Sanderlings and the 1st winter male Black Redstart. The other 1st winter Black Redstart was also still present in Tregs car park.

     1st winter male Black Redstart just below the quay wall off Tregs car park


 It was getting dark and I thought Porth Hellick might be my last chance. On the way I picked up Paul and as we went through the gate at the crossroads, I found one of the SIBERIAN CHIFFCHAFFS feeding in the Sallows with a Chiffchaff to our left. it flew down and started feeding at very close range on the deck. I filmed it for about a minute and when I was done and turned the camcorder off, it started to bloody call! No sign of any Goosanders, but there was a Firecrest with 4 Goldcrests and 9 Snipe came in.

         Looking from Bar Point, St Mary's, towards the Higher Town, St Martins

No comments:

Post a Comment