Language Translator

Saturday 18 December 2010

Best views of the CETTI'S WARBLER!

 The last few days I haven't felt so good and stayed in bed until mid-afternoon. This morning I felt like crap again, but the sun was shinning with blue skies and I couldn't stay in bed any longer. I called Robin, who was just about to go to Porth Hellick, and ended up joining him. Robin wanted to get the Cetti's Warbler, that I've seen or heard in the last week or so. We were there for about an hour and the only birds of note were a single Mistle Thrush, Firecrest, (heard) Grey Plover, fem Wigeon and the Buzzard. As we were approaching the crossroads, a small bird flew out of the ditch to the right of the path in front of us. As it flew, it gave itself away by calling, CETTI'S WARBLER! It briefly showed well at close range and then dived into cover. It was in the same area as the last two times I've seen it and this was the best views I've had so far. I wasn't quick enough with the camera though. I thought I was going to leave without seeing a SIBERIAN CHIFFCHAFF for the first time since they arrived at Porth Hellick. However we saw one feeding in the sun by the car. There was also a small increase of Redwings

                     The Buzzard circling high above Porth Hellick blue skies

   This Grey Plover has been hanging around on the beach for over a week now

PORTH HELLICK
1 CETTI'S WARBLER, 1 SIBERIAN CHIFFCHAFF, 1 Mistle Thrush, 1 Firecrest, 1 Buzzard, 1 Fem Wigeon, 1 Grey Plover, Fem Blackcap, 2 Redshanks, 4 Greenshanks, 4 Fieldfares, 5 Coots, 6 Snipe, 7 Teal,  8 Chiffchaffs, 10+Goldcrests and 20+Redwings 


 In the late afternoon I called Big Al and we both went and scanned off Star Castle. The 2 Spoonbills were on Green Island and Big Al picked up 3 Common Scoters in between Annet and Samson. A few minutes later I picked up the 7 Common Scoters off Carn Near, Tresco. The light was fading fast, but we managed to see 4 Great Northern Divers and 2 Harbour Porpoises and just off Annet there over 30 Fulmars.  The most I've seen since September.

                                    Sunset over Annet from Star Castle

No comments:

Post a Comment