Language Translator

Monday 16 May 2011

Another flava Wagtail!


Summer plumage Golden Plover at the irfield   


  An early taxi at 07.00, from Star Castle to airport this morning, left me with half an hour to have a look at Porth Hellick before I did another pickup. At close range from the right of the seaward hide, I found the male BLUE-HEADED WAGTAIL singing. There was also 15+House Martin, 20+Swallow and the now resident Reed and Sedge Warblers. Two of each Whimbrel and Wheatear were on the beach.
  At 0830, I dropped off a worker at the grape vines at Holy Vale and then drove to the airport. It was very hot and I had the window right down and as I just passed the turning to Carn Vean Cafe, I heard a Grasshopper Warbler reeling in a low hedge right next to the road. I got out of the wagon, to see if I had a chance of seeing it, and heard another bird in the nearby fields on the opposite side of the road.


Male BLUE-HEADED WAGTAIL at Porth Hellick in the early morning light 



Male BLUE-HEADED WAGTAIL singing at Porth Hellick


  A text from Pete mid afternoon, to say that he had a adult male GOLDEN ORIOLE fly over the pool at Porth Hellick towards the ringing station. When I arrived at Porth Hellick there was no sign of it. Instead I saw my first Whimbrel on the deck with 3 Greenshank on the pool. 

Spider sp? in the seaward hide, Porth Hellick 


The first Whimbrel I've seen on the deck at Porth Hellick 

  A quick look at the airfield this evening found another Golden Plover join the three already present. There was also up to 18 Wheatear in the area.

2 of the 4 Golden Plover at the airfield 
  

Note the female Greenland Wheatear on the left, slightly larger than the 1st summer male Wheatear 




No comments:

Post a Comment