Language Translator

Tuesday 13 November 2018

Possibly 3 Dusky Warbler?

Altogether I had a total of 9 Yellow-browed Warbler today including this individual at Lower Moors

  This morning in the warm sun, I had a late start and concentrated on the two main sites on St Mary's, Lower Moors and Porth Hellick. On my ways to the former site I got the pair of Black Redstart on the quay wall, Martin had 5 Black Redstart later on in the same area, and then at the Dump Clump there were 2 Yellow-browed Warbler and a single Woodcock.
  As usual the Dusky and Yellow-browed Warbler made themselves present near to the sluice being very vocal. I located the Dusky Warbler next to the path and it showed very well at close range but was always hidden behind a leaf or branch when trying to get a photo of the damn thing! There was an obvious increase in both Siberian Chiffchaff, Goldcrest and Chiffchaff and when I decided to make a move I had seen, 1 Dusky and 3 Yellow-browed Warbler, 4+Siberian Chiffchaff, 7 Woodcock, 25+Chiffchaff, 15+Goldcrest, 2 Brambling and a male Merlin.


There are up to 5 Black Redstart on the Quay including this cracking male












In different light, this 'Northern' type Willow Warbler could look pale and cold or green and yellow. It was a brute of a warbler, behavioured to that of a hippolais warbler and was the same individual I had last week in between the two hides.




There were 3 Yellow-browed Warbler





And up to 4+Siberian Chiffchaff including these two vocal birds 

An increase of 25+Chiffchaff were in the area







With 15+Goldcrest

Although this Dusky Warbler was showing very well, this was the bet I could do to get anythin on it at all

  It was also alive at Porth Hellick and immediately I saw the unringed 'Eastern' Lesser Whitethroat. While listening to the male Siberian Chiffchaff I also heard the Cetti's, 2 Yellow-browed Warbler and the Dusky Warbler kicked off  and showed well. Of the latter species, I could see that it was unringed and I moved on. I hadn't got far when I could hear the Dusky Warbler ahead of me. 'Bloody ell! This thing can move fast!' It was an hour later, after seeing the ringed possible Siberian Lesser Whitethroat at the ringing station, that I heard the Dusky Warbler again in the same area. It was then that I thought I could hear another Dusky Warbler call twice not so far away but maybe to far away to be 100% it was another Dusky Warbler. On the loop trail there were single Yellow-browed Warbler and Siberian Chiffchaff and 3 Woodcock










The ringed possible Siberian Lesser Whitethroat was taking flies in the warm sun at the ringing station while the 'Eastern' Lesser Whitethroat was on the otherside of the pool


Only 2 Siberian Chiffchaff and no sign of the tailless individual. I also had a single at Higher Moors yesterday



There were 3 Yellow-browed Warbler in total

15+Chiffchaff with smaller numbers of Goldcrest



I had the non-scuffy Red Kite over Porth Hellick yesterday and today it was seen on Bryher before returning back to St Mary's
.  
I thought I had gone and found an American Herring Gull at Porthloo a  few days back but it turned out to be just a 2nd winter European Herring Gull!

But I did get the Great-white Egret on the same beach. It looks like it might be staying for the winter. It was at Bar Point today




last week there was a passage of large gulls moving out SSE and just off The Pottery there were a good number of Lesser-black backed Gull and these 2 3rd winter Yellow-legged Gull


A lesser known song of Beth Orton from 2002

No comments:

Post a Comment