Language Translator

Monday 3 September 2018

Grey-headed Wagtail at Porth Hellick


I had this 1st winter Grey-headed Wagtail come into roost with 5 Yellow Wagtail last night at Porth Hellick

  Another foggy morning and there were 2 Pied Flycatcher in the pines in my garden. shortly after 08.00, Bobby 'Dazzler' Dawson found a Tawny Pipit in a ploughed field at Peninnis! A few minutes later, Viv Stratton called me to tell me he had a Citrine Wagtail at Lower Moors in front the hide! Scott was the only other birder who saw the pipit and I just caught the Citrine Wagtail flying off from Lower Moors later on that was seen later at Porthloo Duckpond.

  Mid-afternoon on the way to the airport I dropped Big Al off at Carn Friars and as a result he stumbled up on a Hoopoe on the main track. I returned to watch the arse end of the Hoopoe over a hedge before getting back to work. It was not until after work at 19.00 that Higgo and I observed the Hoopoe on the main grassy track at Carn Friars. Our minds now were on trying to refind the Tawny Pipit as it's a very long time since we've both seen one on Scilly but on the airfield there were just 2 Whinchat and 1 Tree Pipit.

A heavily cropped shot of the Hoopoe at Carn Friars this evening

I took this shot of the second 1st winter Citrine Wagtail in two weeks to grace Lower Moors just before it went to roost

  The SE brought more migrants in yesterday with a few goodies. It started off with Bobby 'Dazzler' Dawson finding a Melodious Warbler at Lower Town Farm, St Agnes. On St Mary's, Viv had the forth Wood Warbler of the autumn at Rose Hill and later an Osprey fishing in the Tresco Channel.

  It was nearly 10.00 when I had a quick look at the airfield and counted 3 Tree Pipit, 2 Whitethroat, 3 Whinchat, 13 Wheatear and 150+Linnet. At the Golf course I spent a few hours in the area and observed 11 Grey Heron heading WNW. An hour later I could hear a Ortolan Bunting and picked it up flying low SE towards Content. I also had 6 Pied and 2 Spotted Flycatcher, 2 Whinchat, 1 Tree Pipit, 2 Whitethroat and 15 Willow Warbler.  At Lower Moors there were 7 Tree Pipit, 1 Pied Flycatcher and 2 Whitethroat. News came on that there was a Citrine Wagtail on Tresco Great Pool and is presumed to be the individual that was at Lower Moors today.




2 of the 7 Tree Pipit at Lower Moors

Whinchat

Don't observe flocks of Grey Heron like this on Scilly



I saw up 35 Willow Warbler in total but only a single Chiffchaff

  On the Garrison there were 1 Garden Warbler, 7 Pied and 5 Spotted Flycatcher, 3 Whitethroat, 3 Sand Martin and 1 Tree Pipit. Off Morning Point there were 8 Mediterranean Gull on the rocks with 70+Sandwich Tern.


Garden Warbler

Spotted Flycatcher




Pied Flycatcher

  I had just cycled past Old Town Bay when I heard a Herring Gull alarm. I turned round to see the Osprey that had been observed all over the shop, flying on the Peninnis side of the bay towards Porthcressa. I finished the day off at Porth Hellick and just before dark 5 Yellow Wagtail came in with a eastern type (Black or Grey-headed Wagtail) I also had 3 Pied and 1 Spotted Flycatcher and 1 Whinchat. Later in the evening it was identified by others by my record shots, as a 1st winter Grey-headed Wagtail. .

This Osprey over Old Town Bay was my forth this year

1st winter Grey-headed Wagtail with Yellow Wagtail at Porth Hellick

One of the Yellow Wagtail came a little closer to the hide

  Two days ago, it was later after work that I got out in the dense fog. Already I had 5 Pied Flycatcher on the Garrison just a few minutes away from home, including one on the Star Castle steps. At Telegraph there were 2 Whitethroat, 5 Pied and 2 Spotted Flycatcher, 6 Willow Warbler and my first Whinchat of the year. However, shortly afterwards on the airfield I had 3 Whinchat with 6 Wheatear. At Lower Moors Higgo and I only saw 2 Tree Pipit, 3 Water Rail, 5 Sedge Warbler, 1 Pied Flycatcher and Whitethroat. With Robin I finished off the day with 7 Yellow Wagtail at Porth Hellick.




Tree Pipit



I had this wet Pied Flycatcher on the steps of Star Castle with another 4 on the Garrison nearby

Wheatear


Sedge Warbler

At last I got close to the summering Merlin but I could only see the top half of this female sat in a pine at Pelisistry Farm

 On St Martins, Viv Jackson had a summer plumage pluvalis plover on Middle Town Beach that he believed might of been a possible Pacific Golden Plover! It was last seen flying towards Great Bay.




Blue States - Lost and Found is from a compilation of B-Sides known as The Sum of the Parts. Released in 2009 as an iTunes exclusive, it contains the works of Andy Dragazis from between 1998 to 2007.

No comments:

Post a Comment