Language Translator

Friday 9 February 2018

Thailand Day I

While observing a male Common Iora, this Asian Emerald Cuckoo flew in and showed superbly!

   I arrived in Bangkok yesterday afternoon, via Doha, Qatar and stayed overnight on the outskirts of the city at Fifty 11 Hostel for £4! It was very good but not as good as Pillow and Bread where I stayed lat night almost in the center of Bangkok for only £3! No breakfast included I'm afraid but that was no problem. Just a step outside of the hostel and there is always a man with fresh fruit in ice on the street. Just to give you an idea of how cheap it can be for a visitor like me from the UK. For £1.60, this morning I had a quarter of fresh Water Melon, Pineapple, Mango and from the shop, yogurt! Anyways, the other reason for staying in this area was that it was a twenty minute walk from Suan Rot Fia Park where I visited this morning.

One drips the water out while another floods the area!

Common Taylorbird and Pied Fantail at the side of the cycle track

on the left is where I had Pale-legged Leaf Warbler

Suan Rot Fia Park where in the bottom photo you can see Indian Pong Heron, Tree sparrow and Common Myna

All the birds I observed, including this Little Egret, were common or species that you expected to see in the park.

  At 09.00 I walked through one of the many entrances into the park from the SE end. The park is split up into by a main road and there were a lot of people inside! I thought I would have to try and find secluded areas to see the birds but as I discovered it was not the case. With all the bodies of water in the park, I was totally surprised to not see a single duck!! Mid afternoon I was returning to the hostel and if your ever stuck in Bangkok, then I highly recommend a visit to the park, even if your a non-birder. Especially if you like squirrels! I must of seen hundreds! As you can see I didn't really take many photos in the park.





Blue-tailed Bee-eater






Indian Roller 

   

This was the only Asian Emerald Cuckoo that recorded



I saw at least 4 Plaintive Cuckoo

There were good number of Black-naped Oriole in Suan Rot Fia Park but this is the onln one I observed in a tree and the others were all fight views















There were up to 6 Brown Shrike in the park








On the water I observed 3 Asian Open-billed Stork getting stuck into snails. Overhead, I saw one and twos moving over throughout the day


There were a group of 5 Plain Prinia in willows next to the tennis courts



A pair of Plain-backed Sparrow

Brown Flycaycher

Taiga Flycatcher

 

I observed 2 Pale-legged Leaf Warbler

And many Yellow-browed Warbler

Pied Bushchat


Female Scaley-brested Munia




Ashy Drongo





I pished in a small coppice and this crazy White-crested Laughingthrush almost landed on me! 

Black-throated Laughingthrush
  

Asian Pied Starling


Great Myna

Black-collard Starling

I only a single Kingfisher but at least 2 Black-capped Kingfisher including this one

Female Olive-backed Sunbird. 

You can hear Asian Koal all over the park

Male Scarlet Flowerpecker




This Eastern Jungle Crow was getting stuck into a carcass of a squirrel. 

Scarlet-breasted Munia


Monitor Lizard were all over the shop! The individual above was bigger than me and wouldn't budge when I tried to pass by on a narrow path between two pools

There were so many squirrels of variable colours 




People relaxing in the park

The invisible man was also busy working at the park!

The view this evening from the roof top of the hostel

No comments:

Post a Comment