Language Translator

Thursday 19 October 2017

SIBERIAN OYSTERCATCHER?? On Scilly

I know diddly-squat about Siberian Oystercatcher but I've never seen an ostycatcher like this individual that Richard Stonier came across yesterday on Porthloo Beach. 

  Mid-morning and I was looking at the possible Siberian Oystercatcher feeding with some 35 Oystercatcher. It was on the shore at low tide but even at a distance it could easily be picked out from the others with it's brown upperparts in contrast with it's dark head. I had never heard of a Siberian Oystercatcher before a possible turned up on Shetland a few weeks ago. I guess the Scilly individual will stick around for a bit. There were also 2 Mediterranean Gull on the beach.







The possible sibe was always distant in the driving rain

  The rain was still falling when I picked up Tim Vaughn to go and have a look at the putative WILSON'S SNIPE that's been at Porth Hellick for nine days that I ain't seen yet. I arrived at the Sussex hide some five minutes after Tim and as I approached the hide door, I could hear Whooper Swan! I rushed into the hide to see 3 Whooper Swan touch down in front of the hide. Other birders were in the hide already and told me that they had got a Jack Snipe on the far side. One of them told me 'It's in the scope if you want to have a look!' My reply was 'Wouldn't it be a good idea if you let it free out of the scope!?' I had good scope views of the Jack Snipe and then I made my ways to the seaward hide to find Tim and Dick Filby who put me on the Wilson's Snipe that was showing well at close range. In the first ten minutes of observing it, I heard it, it showed off it's under and upperwing before hiding away into the reeds.
  I got a call from Martin Goodey telling me that the Corncrake that was found yesterday in fields at Carn Legh was showing well in the open. Then Higgo called to tell me that he had just heard a probable Dusky Warbler at Shooters Pool, Lower Moors. Everyone piled into me wagon and ten minutes later we were watching the crake in a grass field where it was showing very well feeding out in the open for a good twenty minutes that I was there. The last time I observed a Corncrake out in the open was back in 1994, just around the corner at Old Town Church. That individual was at very close range for the large admiring crowd! Today there were just over ten birders looking at the Carn Legh crake!

  It was still raining when I returned to Porth Hellick and in the east corner of the beach at High tide was the long staying American Golden Plover and the Water Pipit that was found yesterday. Also a Swallow flew through.




Looking very good for Wilson's Snipe!

Below are four images to compare features of both the putative Wilson's Snipe, one and three images with a Common Snipe, two and four images.





Common Snipe showing off it's tail














This was part of the family of 5 Whooper Swan that were at Watermill this morning. After twenty minutes of checking out Porth Hellick, they flew off and later all five swans were together again seen at Watermill. 




Corncrake at Carn Legh

I ain't seen me American Golden Plover in two weeks that it has been on Porth Hellick beach until today where it was feeding along side a Water Pipit.

I worked for the first two hours in this morning, then the planes stopped flying. It was not until gone 17.00 that two planes came into land in the gale force SW.


   Yesterday afternoon while the sun was shinning I went to kick the Salkee Fields and had over 40 Siskin and a Crimson Speckled Moth! I had to return to work and gave directions of where the moth was in the field to Will Scott as he wanted to twitch it. He got it along with 2 Vestal Moth.

Even though this is a very rare moth in the UK, including this one, 3 Crimson Speckled Moth were found in the last two days on Scilly! This was my forth for Scilly.



 Male and female Siskin with over 40 Siskin at Salkee


A single Wheatear and 2 Whimbrel were at Giants Castle


Current Swell’s roots lie on the west coast of Canada in Victoria, British Columbia, on Vancouver Island. The band’s members consist of Scott Stanton, Dave Lang, Louis Sadava and Chris Petersen.[2] Originally a group of friends hanging out and making music, the band began performing in backyards and on beaches, and has gained popularity through the likes of its online presence and dedicated Internet fan base. The band has been noted for its authenticity and for remaining true to its upbeat folk roots.
Current Swell sold out the very first show they played as a band. The band had released a short, five song ep on the internet that teenagers enrolled in a high school up island got a hold of. The band had booked a show at a local coffee shop in hopes of playing in front of two, or three people but ended up playing in front of a packed audience.
The band credits much of their success to their fans, particularly the online community. Their song Young and Able (2009) became an Internet hit through its popularization on YouTube. The Internet has contributed significantly to the Canadian west coast band's large following in South America, particularly Brazil, where it headlined in Rio de Janeiro and São Paulo in 2012.
Current Swell has opened for bands like The Beach BoysXavier RuddDispatchBedouin Soundclash and The Beautiful Girls, and has made appearances at the 2010 Winter Olympics and the Ottawa Blues Festival.[3]

No comments:

Post a Comment