Language Translator

Thursday 14 July 2011

Bumping into Med Gulls!

Adult Mediterranean Gull in the evening light at Bant's Carn 


  In the baking hot sun it was a long day at work and I didn't finish until 20.15! A look at Lower Moors found a juvenile Green Sandpiper and White Wagtail. 3 Sand Martin were overhead with 6 Swift and 40+Swallow.


Juvenile Green Sandpiper and White Wagtail at Lower Moors 




No sign of the L Tortoiseshell at Rose Hill, but this worker Common Wasp was dwarfed by a queen while she was climbing the trunk of the Oak Tree with the sap dripping from it. This worker was guarding the sap and attacked her when she came near     
   
  Mid afternoon and I thought I would go and have a look at Robin's adult Mediterranean Gull that he found at Porthloo at 09.00. I didn't think it would still be there, but when I arrived I found a group of Black-headed Gull roosting on Taylors Island. I scanned into the flock and the forth bird in, was a 1st summer Med Gull. I continued and found the cracking adult with 31 Black-heads. I finished work and driving past The Strand, I saw the adult Med Gull  just above the houses heading out over the harbour towards Tresco. Nearly an hour later, there were a handful of Black-heads feeding just below Bant's Carn and at last, I observed the adult Med Gull at close range. Yesterday, Ren had a juvenile Mediterranean Gull over town.


Adult Mediterranean Gull  

Marco Polo hanging out in the channel looking out from The Mrmaid 

No comments:

Post a Comment