Language Translator

Sunday 6 November 2011

PINE BUNTING and GREAT REED WARBLER!

GREAT REED WARBLER at Lower Moors

 Went down to Lower Moors this morning and while watching a YELLOW-BROWED WARBLER busy chasing a SIBERIAN CHIFFCHAFF around in front of me face (the sibe was very vocal) I heard a loud 'chak' to my right. I know what that is 'GREAT REED WARBLER!' I rushed out to find it still calling. I made out that it was coming from a large isolated Sallow, a few meters infront of me, in the middle of the reeds. It then flew into a smaller bush before flying off towards the hides. Both times I had crippling close flight views. Later Martin relocated it and managed to get some shots of it.
  Other highlights included here, another YELLOW-BROWED WARBLER and calling SIBERIAN CHIFFCHAFF, although there were 5 'tristis' types, Willow Warbler, 2 Swallow and small numbers of  Fieldfare, Redwing and Chaffinch flew overhead throughout the time that I was at Lower Moors.

The ringed GREAT REED WARBLER

The Willow Warbler was still in the same area where I saw it a few days ago


2 'tristis' types were feeding together, but I never heard them call

Over 20 Chiffchaff were also in the area


Another 'tristis' type was with 10+Chiffchaff at the Dump Clump
 
  It was time to get home and as I left the main road to enter the track towards Sunnyside, I scanned one of the fields. Suddenly, there was a bird calling in the pine I was standing under 'Yellowhammer!' But then there was this loud withdrawn whistle at the end. That's no Yellowhammer, and as it continued to call, I slowly started stepping out backwards, always ready to look at the top of the pine. Unfortunately, I flushed it and it made a short flight into some Elms and out of sight. All I got was a dark bunting, with white outer-tail feathers. I rang everyone up and descibed on the phone, or tried to, what I had just heard. Martin suggested Pine Bunting. I thought that it would sounded like Yellowhammer without the loud stridednt high pitched 'spee' or something like that, at the end. (My descripition of the whistle)
  I didn't know what to do? The bird was in the trees and I could try and look for it, but I was too afraid of scaring it away before everyone arrived. My daughter was waiting for me at home and because of this bunting, I was longer than I should of been. I thought I would go and get her and then return. While I was at home, I listened to a Pine Bunting recording and hell, it was spot on! It was a bloody PINE BUNTING!
  When we did all look for it, there was no sign of it. Shite! Although Pine Bunting has got a distictive call and on the flight views I had, it will never be accepted. And also, I really don't give a damn what anyone thinks about this record! I just hope it's pinned down tomorrow.

http://www.xeno-canto.org/asia/browse.php?query=Pine+Bunting+%28Emberiza+leucocephalos%29+3&species_nr=

 Have a listen to the call of Pine Bunting.

Not many Wood Pigeon around today

Ostercatcher at Porthloo


Looking from Porthloo towards Bishop Rock this evening


Tell that long tongue liar - Who's in this video? Well everyone, almost.

•Iggy Pop•Kanye West•Chris Martin•Kris Kristofferson•Flea•Terrence Howard•Patti Smith•Q-Tip•Adam Levine.Chris Rock•Justin Timberlake•Kate Moss•Sir Peter Blake•Sheryl Crow•Dennis Hopper•Woody Harrelson•Amy Lee•Tommy Lee•Dixie Chicks•Mick Jones•Sharon Stone•Bono•Shelby Lynne•Anthony Kiedis•Travis Barker•Lisa Marie Presley•Kid Rock•Jay Z•Keith Richards

•Billy Gibbons•Corinne Bailey Rae•Johnny Depp•Brandon Flowers•Graham Nash
•Brian Wilson•Rick Rubin•Owen Wilson

No comments:

Post a Comment