Language Translator

Sunday 27 November 2011

BLUE-WINGED TEAL at Porth Hellick

1st winter/adult female BLUE-WINGED TEAL

  All day yesterday it blew a hooley from the SW and as a result a BLUE-WINGED TEAL turned up at Porth Hellick. Tean and I were returning from town, after doing some shopping, and as I not been out for the last three days, we decided to give it ten minutes down at Porth Hellick. This turned out to be a little longer than exspected. From the Sussex hide, I could see a small duck on the far side, swimming away from us. It turned it's head and I thought that it looked good for a Blue-winged Teal! I ran like the devil to the seaward hide and just got on to the duck before it disappeared into the reeds. That was good enough for me. I had no credit and called on Martin on the way home and then put the news out. 925 told me that it was a new bird for him. So with in a few minutes I picked him up and he succesfully twitched it. This is only the 8th Scilly record and is hot on the heels after the very tame 1st winter male at Newford Duc duckpond in late September just gone. There were also 2 Firecrest and a single Siberian Chiffchaff at the crossroads.




1st winter/adult female BLUE-WINGED TEAL keeping it's distance. You can just make out the yellow legs.


A ten minute look at Lower Moors on the 25th, could only produce a Grey Wagtail and only my second Jack Snipe of the year. Also heard the DUSKY WARBLER and Yellow-browed Warbler.



Love the intro to this song 'Contrary to Ordinary' by the man who wrote 'Mr Bojangles. The great Jerry Jeff Walker.

No comments:

Post a Comment