Language Translator

Saturday, 1 October 2011


NORTHORN WATERTHRUSH trapped at Porth Hellick!

  I was ready to leave Star Castle with two guests in me wagon to take to the airport in the thick fog. I normally curse when there's no flying, because it just messes up everyones day. However, on this occasion it was a blessing. Higgo called 'Come and pick me up boy!' Jim had told him that he had just trapped the NORTHERN WATERTHRUSH at Porth Hellick and he would be releasing it at 08.45! Then Big Al came through on the radio 'Spider, Pual Buxton is running from the campsite now, to catch a lift' Who said I was going? The guests were listening to everything that was unfolding and also wanted to see the waterthrush. I guess they were going nowhere for a while. I told the guests that I'm afraid I would have to take them to the airport. There reply was to take the other two to Porth Hellick first. Paul jumped in and Higgo was waiting outside Banfields. I dropped them both off at Porth Hellick and when I drove away, I knew that I was never going to make it on time when I returned. At 08.45 I called Higgo to ask Jim if he could hold onto it for a few more minutes? All I could hear was heavy breathing, I thought I got the wrong number and got through to a adult chat-up line instead. It wasn't and while I was trying to contain myself, I heard Higgo trying to reply with heavy breathing inbetween 'I'm not there yet' I should of known. Then the radio came alive. It was Martin and he said that the bird will be released at 09.00 near the beach. I took my time and arrived to find a group of birders waiting for Jim to bring the waterthrush to us from the ringing station. He showed it to all that was present and then it was released. It called a few times as it flew into the braken that borders the coastal path. Here it continued to call and then Martin, Higgo and I, left it alone and walked back to the road. Shortly after it's release, it was seen briefly back at Higgo's project with a brand new shiny ring

The crowd waiting patiently for Jim. Higgo's right at the back trying to catch his breath back. Note the fog that I'm started to like. If it wasn't for the weather, then I would of not seen the waterthrush in the hand.

Tree Pipit at Maypole

The Dead Pine Walk, Garrison could only produce 1 Pied and Spotted Flycatcher, 2 Golcrest, 3 Blackcap, 1 Chiffchaff, 1 Painted Lady and 2 Humming-bird Hawkmoth. Elsewhere on the island I saw singles of Redstart, Whinchat and Tree Pipit
In one field at Maypole, moths I flushed included 10+Silver Y, 5 Rusty-dot Pearl and 1 Vestal. Also there was a single Clouded Yellow

  Andy Gardner relocated the juvenile PALLID HARRIER and the HONEY BUZZARD over Tresco Abbey Pool, before the harrier was seen well at the north end of St Mary's.

This Short-eared Owl was found by Paul Buxton roosting in a pine just of the path leading down to Bants Carn from Telegraph and the first of the autumn Robin Mawer

  Throughout the day it was humid and the fog didn't clear until mid-afternoon and that's when those two guest got away.

Looking from Star Castle this evening

Looking from Porthloo towards Stars Castle Robin Mawer

One of my favorite singer/songwriters Richard Ashcroft. Listen to his stuff all the time

No comments:

Post a Comment