Language Translator

Saturday 23 April 2011

PURPLE HERON on it's last legs!



  Got a call from Paul Semmen's to tell me that the adult PURPLE HERON was showing down to a few meters in the ditch at Lower Moors! I was there with in minutes and as I approached Paul, Robin and Mark, the heron got up from just below them and flew head hight and landed directly in front me! This was the first time that I had seen this bird since I found it less than three weeks ago, 3rd April. However, this was not the way I wanted to see it. Being so close, looking rough on the side of the neck and a limp on the right leg, it was obvious that it was not in good shape. More people arrived and we all decided that we should try and catch it, but as Chris and I approached it, it only just managed to get up and fly over the reeds towards the hides. We let it go and later on it was found in the same ditch further up towards Old Town. 





Adult PURPLE HERON Robin Mower 


Adult PURPLE HERON not in good shape at Lower Moors  




 
Male WOODCHAT SHRIKE still present at Giants Castle. Also there was a flyover Tree Pipit 



Up to 8 Bar-tailed Godwit and 3 Whimbrel were at Bants Carn 

At least 9 Sedge Warbler and 5 Reed Warbler were singing at Porth Hellick with the Grasshopper Warbler still reeling at the loop trail. There were also over 100 Swallow and 10 of each House and Sand Martin 

A walk along the beach at Bar Point 

No comments:

Post a Comment