Language Translator

Monday 11 April 2011

HOOPOE at the Garrison


Ren's HOOPOE showing well in dead pines near Woolpack, Garrison


  I arrived at Porth Hellick this morning in the overcast skies, earlier than usual, hoping that last nights 2 NIGHT HERON might be present on the pool. The Wood Sandpiper was still in front of the seaward hide and on the far side, there were 3 Snipe. In the reeds, I could hear the first 2 Reed Warbler of the year. At Carn Friars, a Wood Warbler was being chased around by a Chiffchaff and I could hear the Great-spotted Woodpecker drumming near Lunnon Farm. There was a single female and 3 male Ring Ouzel up on the down and as I returned to the pool, I met Joe, who was looking for yesterdays BEE-EATER that he re-found around the loop trail, but there was no sign of it. It was 08.30 and I had a chopper to meet in quarter of an hour. However, the fog was rolling in and as a result, there was no flying. That gave me more time to continue looking around. From Salakee, I entered the back of the loop trail and here a single Redwing flew off. I scanned the tall Elms to my right and there just above me, was the BEE-EATER!! I had a good look at it and then got the camcorder out. It flew around briefly and then into the fog, disappeared towards Trethelethen Farm. On the loop trail, there was a male Pied Flycatcher and after chatting to Smothy for a few minutes, I found my second Wood Warbler, this time near the crossroads where there was also a single Whitethroat.


The BEE-EATER at Salakee in the Elms before flying off into the fog towards Tremelethen Farm


Wood Warbler at Carn Friars 



One of the 4 Ring Ouzel on Porth Hellick Down 




BEE-EATER looking out of place in the foggy conditions at Salakee 


Front on views of the Wood Warbler at Porth Hellick. In the space of two days I have seen 5 different Wood Warbler! In nearly a week, there have maybe been up to 15+ birds on the islands! Only one or two are usually seen in the spring each year. 


TOTALS FOR PORTH HELLICK AREA

1 BEE-EATER
1 WOOD SANDPIPER
2 REED WARBLER 
2 WOOD WARBLER
1 PIED FLYCATCHER
1 REDWING 
1 WHITETHROAT
4 RING OUZEL 
1 GREAT SPOTTED WOODPECKER
3 SNIPE 
PAIR TEAL
1 ADULT GREY HERON
1 WHEATEAR 
8 MALE BLACKCAP 
10+WILLOW WARBLER
15+CHIFFCHAFF
3 SWALLOW
7 SAND MARTIN 
 
  The fog soon cleared and I knew that it was going to be a busy day at work. With only half an hour left, before they started flying, I decided to give it go at looking for Ren's HOOPOE, that he found yesterday at Holly Cottage. There was a White and Pied Wagtail on the football pitch. After twenty minutes of searching, I gave up and went looking for the WOODCHAT instead. There was an imm/fem Black Redstart near the Woolpack and as I walked towards the Steval on the main path, from the grass in front of me, flies the HOOPOE into the low branches of a dead pine! What a bird! It showed very well before flying through the pines in the direction of the campsite. As it flew off, work called and told me to get to the airport and that's the way it went for the rest of the day!

Imm/fem Black Redstart at the Woolpack, Garrison 

Sunset from the Woolpack, Garrison 

No comments:

Post a Comment