Language Translator

Wednesday 23 February 2011

Unusal worm at Star Castle!

AUSTRALIAN FLATWORM!

  While lifting up a very large flower pot full of earth in the Star Castle garden, I found a very interesting worm underneath that I had never seen before! I picked it up and the impression it gave me, by it's behaviour, was a pale looking leach. It was flesh colored above, paler on the flat underside and sometimes left a slimy trail behind, when moving. I took some shots and then when I finished work, I took to Ren's to have a look. He too had never seen anything like it and asked if he could keep it overnight.
 Later when I returned home, I identified it as an AUSTRALIAN FLATWORM! As it turned out, the first UK record was in 1980 on the Scillies and has more than likely arrived in a plant from down under! Since then they have been taken to the mainland and from the south continued to progress northward and also into Irland!


AUSTRALIAN FLATWORM at Star Castle!

Before I went home, I had a walk along Porthcressa Bay and observed this adult Great Northern Diver at close range in the bay





  When I did arrive home, a single Woodcock and 20 Snipe flew over the garden heading south towards Porth Hellick, just before dark.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment