Language Translator

Wednesday 28 October 2015

Pink-footed Goose

This Pink-footed Goose stayed very briefly at the airfield

  First thing this morning I was at pelistry and observed over 40 Redwing fly NW. 5 Brambling with 70-80 Chaffinch at Watermill, were my my first of the autumn and nearby there was a vocal Yellow-browed Warbler in the Cove. I managed to see just one of the 2 Hawfinch at green Lane and there was a Black Redstart at the farm . At Newford both the Siberian Chiffchaff and Yellow-browed Warbler were still present with the Great-spotted Woodpecker. Just up road at Trenowth there were 5 Firecrest, 2 woodcock and 40+siskin. 

5 Brambling were at watermill with 70-80 Chaffinch

Siberian Chiffchaff at Newford



Up to 5 Firecrest were at Trenowth

Over 40 Siskin were at Trenowth

  After visiting the airport throughout the rest of day running taxis, mid-afternoon I was talking to Martin Goodey about the Pink-footed Goose that he saw yesterday over the island, when I said 'Hold on, I think I've got it' Sure enough the goose was front on heading my way and came down at the NW end of the airfield close the me wagon that I was sitting in. I quickly took some pics, as I could see that it was edgy with all the activity goin on. After a few minutes it was back up in the air and flew out east. also on the airfield were a single Wheatear, the 2 Black Redstart and a mobile flock of 40-45 Skylark.




Flying over town

This Pink-footed Goose spent a few minutes on the airfield before being flushed

  The last hour of the day I found myself at Higher Moors and immediately got the Northern Willow Warbler that I had here over a week ago. There was also the Siberian Chiffchaff and Yellow-browed Warbler, 3 Firecrest25+Chiffchaff and 15+Goldcrest. 
  Across the road at the entrance of Porth Hellick, I could hear another Yellow-browed Warbler and saw another 3 Firecrest, but only 15 Chiffchaff. There were also 2 swallow and the Lapwing  overhead.




The Northern Willow Warbler and Siberian Chiffchaff were still at Higher Moors and taken in the fading light, Yellow-browed Warbler.

I saw over 50 Chiffchaff including this individual that appeared to have an eye missing

Altogether I saw 11 Firecrest today

False Black Widow Spiders can be found anywhere on St Mary's. This female was at Porthcressa Petrol Station.

  Two days ago there were up to 4 Palla's Warbler on Scilly with singles on Bryher and Trenowth, St Mary's. On St Agnes there were 2 other birds with a Dusky Warbler discovered. The following day, Agnes produced a Radda's Warbler at Troy Town. Today, the Radda's, Dusky and only 1 Palla's Warbler were still present with the Bryher individual still at South Hill Cottage. On Gugh, there was a flyover Serin and Chesney had a Woodlark NE over The Garrison, St Mary's.  


Another amazing artist under the radar. Hoping to go and see him live real soon. 

2 comments:

  1. Normally only see the pink feet miles up in the sky, in big echelons! Great photos

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Simon. Whenever I make winter visits to Norfolk, one thing I look forward to is the skies full of Pink-feets.

    ReplyDelete