Language Translator

Tuesday 11 October 2016

1st CASPIAN GULL for scilly


1st winter CASPIAN GULL at Porth Killiar, St Agnes Jamie Partridge

  I was just dropping cases off when Higgo came through on my mobile 'Come and pick me up boy!' As I had been working I had no idea what was goin on and when he normally says this, it's goin to be somethin good and it was 'What is it?' I wasn't expecting this 'CASPIAN GULL! First for Scilly!' Only last week I claimed a Caspian and in the end it turned out to be a simple Herring Gull. However, not simple for me. 'Very funny Higgo. Do you think I'm goin to fall for that one?' He came back 'No, it's on St Agnes! Come and pick me up. There's a boat at 14.30!' It was 13.40 and for the next few minutes I refused as I thought he was taking the piss! After an hour of him goin on, I started to believe that, maybe he's not taking the piss! When I did pick him up, he told me that it had flown off towards the Turks Head and him and Geoff Barter would go and have a look at the tip. Half an hour later and I find them at Old Town Cafe! So, is this the new dump on St Mary's? I guess it is if them two are hanging out there.


  Before all of this happened, this morning I had a look at the Dead Pine Walk and there were 2 Spotted Flycatcher, 1 Lesser whitethroat, 3 Chiffchaff, 1 House Martin, 15+Swallow and 2 Yellow-browed Warbler. 

When I could, I went and had a look for it on the beaches and while at Content, 7 Lesser-black backed Gull flew overhead. These were the first I've seen since early September. Later I saw three more. At Newford I found the 3 Red-breasted Flycatcher showing well with 2 Yellow-browed Warbler sheltering from the strong SE. At Lower Moors, a Jack Snipe and 3 Yellow-browed Warbler were hanging out around the Shooters Pool. Throughout the day, I passed the birders still observing the Subalpine Warbler sp at St Mary's Hall garden. I say sp, because it's now thought that we need to get a recording or DNA to be sure that it's one of the three. Does this mean that all Scilly autumn Subalpine Warblers should be put down as Subalpine Warbler sp??

One of the 3 Red-breasted Flycatcher at Newford

Juvenile Hobby over Newford

My first Clouded Yellow of the year was at trenowth

Jack Snipe at Shooter Pool. Another 3 were reported at Lower Moors


and here is some flight shots of the CASPIAN GULL! Jamie Partridge


Been following St Vincent for over five years. Amazing talent!

No comments:

Post a Comment