Language Translator

Monday 24 November 2014

Dusky Warbler on Tresco

2 black-necked Grebe just off Carn Near, Tresco

  An unusual sight was waking up to frost. I mean outside, not in me room! Anyways, a 10 minute look at Porth Hellick and I heard Firecrest and Siberian Chiffchaff. Then it was time to start work and at the airport there were over 70 redwing on the airfield, but no sign of the 1st winter Ring-billed Gull. However, later in the afternoon, news came out of a 1st winter RB Gull at Sennen.


Heavy frost first thing this morning at Porth Hellick

Siberian Chiffchaff found by call at Porth Hellick

  It was turning out to be a cracking morning and I had the rest of the day off and decided to go to Tresco again. I was hoping to see the Dusky Warbler that I didn't really see yesterday, except in silhouette. When I arrived, there were again, lots of Chiffchaff around the Abbey Pool and with them were 2 Siberian 'type' Chiffchaff. I didn't hear any of them call. On the lawn, the Lesser Canada Goose (probably parvipes) was still present and I could hear 2 Reed Bunting nearby.

While waiting for the rib, this Shag was fishing just off the quay





Although I didn't hear it call, this chiff showed all the features for a classic Siberian Chiffchaff
   

Higgo told me that there has only been 5 Canada's throughout. It seems that the Lesser Canada might of arrived with the Canada Goose that it associates with all the time. 

  I went looking for the Dusky warbler along Pool Road, but when I got to the area, all I could hear were Chiffchaffs, including 2 Siberian Chiffchaff. An hour had gone and no sign of the Dusky or the 2 Northern Willow Warbler from yesterday. With the clear skies overnight, I thought maybe they had all moved out. I made my way to the Swarovski hide and heard another Reed Bunting in the reeds. Then Higgo called to say that he has heard the Dusky Warbler with Ren. The way he said it gave me visions of the Dusky Warbler calling from the undergrowth with Ren nearby hiding also calling, making noises and being elusive and mobile. I got that out my head and when I joined them, the warbler was calling on and off for the next hour. However, it remained very elusive and mobile and only flight views was the best that we could manage. We had enough of chasing the damn thing and Joe Pender picked us up from Carn Near and with the rib, we all got cracking views of the 2 Black-necked Grebe nearby.


Another 2 Siberian Chiffchaff were along Pool Road and both birds were calling

Up to 60 Chiffchaff were also along Pool Road with another 10 at the Abbey Pool. Only 5 Blackcap and 4 Goldcrest were seen this time though.



With the rib, we got pretty close to the 2 Black-necked Grebe just off Carn Near that Joe discovered yesterday 

Higgo asked me if I was hungry and asked if I wanted a biscuit. It was mid-afternoon and all I had was breakfast. I was peckish and said politely, yes please and with a chuckle, Higgo pulled out of his pocket, a dog biscuit!


Looking from crow sound towards Annet and the Bishop lighthouse


Martin's a marvelous songwriter, effortlessly drawing out fully-fleshed stories and lush natural metaphors from a simple folk music structure. He's an incredibly rare find among today's glut of singer-songwriters: a songwriter whose songs are immediately affecting. These are the kind of songs that can change you.

No comments:

Post a Comment