Language Translator

Sunday 4 November 2018

Olive-backed Pipit at Dump Alloments

The Olive-backed Pipit at the Dump Allotments showed superbly this morning.

    I ain't seen the Olive-backed Pipit since on the day that John Headon first found it, a week ago, and immediately on arrival it flew from the Marigold field into the Hawthorn. This was followed by a damn cat also coming out of the Marigolds only a few meters from where the pipit took off from. Less than a minutes walk away I got 2 Yellow-browed Warbler, Reed Bunting and the very vocal Great Spotted Woodpecker in the Dump Clump.





The Olive-backed Pipit has been present now for a week 

  On the Scilly Bird News WhatsApp, Darren Mason put the news out that the BLYTH'S PIPIT was still in the cattle fields. There was no sign of it when I got there and I also just missed out in seeing a Yellow-browed Warbler in the hand that Jim had trapped. This was the 16th YBW that he has ringed this autumn!
  I walked through Porth Hellick and saw an acro warbler from the path very briefly. I couldn't tell you want species of acro it was but did notice that it appeared to have a longer bill than usual. I also got the 2 Siberian Chiffchaff, including the singing male, Yellow-browed Warbler and the 'Eastern' Lesser Whitethroat. I let others know about the acro warbler that I knew were nearby and in the time they took to reach me, just a few minutes in Ritchie's case, the acro warbler showed again and I managed to get some pics in the very dull light before it disappeared. The Dusky Warbler started calling and it turned out to be the unringed individual. From the back of the camera, the acro was identified as a late Reed Warbler and everyone moved on, except for Ritchie. In twenty minutes, we observed all the species that I saw before Ritchie joined me and also heard the male Cetti's Warbler singing very close by. We moved onto the loop trail and got 2 Yellow-browed Warbler, 1 Siberian Chiffchaff, 2 Brambing and heard a Golden Plover. There was a single Jack snipe, I had 3 yesterday, on the pool and at Carn Friars we got the ringed possible Siberian Lesser Whitethroat. On Porth Hellick Down we very briefly saw the ring-tailed Hen Harrier put up 60+Meadow Pipit which is a very high number for this time of year.


A late Reed Warbler



 The 'Eastern' Lesser Whitethroat was still hanging around at Porth Hellick with the ringed possible Siberian Lesser Whitethroat still present at nearby Carn Friars




The 2 Siberian Chiffchaff includes the ringed singing male (top bird) and a tailless individual In one Sallow, Ritchie and I observed 'Eastern' Lesser Whitethroat, Yellow-browed Warbler, 2 Siberian Chiffchaff and Dusky Warbler  and I had a Reed Warbler before Ritchie arrived

2 Brambling were on the loop trail including this male

Redwing had all moved out and I only saw 6 throughout the day

Female Stonechat

Yesterday I had this Black Redstart at pelistry along with a single Brambling in a flock of 200 Chaffinch

There were also up to 3 Jack Snipe in the ditch at Porth Hellick


No comments:

Post a Comment