Language Translator

Saturday 19 September 2015

2 Bonelli's Warbler at Upper Broom!

Bonelli's Warbler sp at Upper Broom, Garrison

  I've been lucky enough to see over 15 Western Bonelli's Warbler on Scilly. I never thought I would see two on the same day feeding together, but that's what happened today. This morning I got a text from Andrew Gardner, who arrived on the St Mary's yesterday, that he had a possible Bonelli's Warbler at Upper Broom platform. When I arrived on site, he had already heard it and identified it as a Western Bonelli's Warbler. The warbler performed well and called as I left to get back to work. The bird was seen throughout the day, but it wasn't to early evening that I could return and Martin relocated it distantly in a dead pine, before it briefly came closer into a Laylandii Tree. Robin, Trevor and Julie joined us and while we were watching the warbler to our left, back in the dead pine, I caught a glimpse of a warbler to my right in the shadows of the Laylandii. It reappeared very briefly and all I got was it's head and upper breast. 'Bloody ell! It's another Bonelli's Warbler!' I looked to the dead pine to see that there was still a Bonelli's in there! Even though I had seen it very briefly, I knew that I had just seen another Bonelli's Wabler and contacted everyone so they could get up here and also see two Bonelli's together for the first time in the UK! Whatever happens, Martin relocated both birds before me, but at the time we didn't realize that there were 2 birds!
  It was some 20 minutes later that we were all getting brief views of a Bonelli's Warbler in the tops of Elms when Martin shouted there's the other one! They were both feeding together just above our heads!



Unfortunately these 2 Bonelli's Warblers were observed 10 miles away. We know that one is a Western, but which one? Lets say that one did call and turned out to be an Eastern. So if you twitched it, you would have to wait until it called again, even if you saw both Bonelli's together in the same field of view. However, it's more than likely that we have 2 Western Bonelli's Warbler.



This is the Western Bonelli's Warbler that Andrew Gardner found this morning. Shortly afterwards he found a Yellow-browed Warbler just around the corner. 2 of the latter species were also on Bryher.



  I had little time today but did manage to look at one Content field before I got the call to get back. Up to 11 Whinchat were in the weedy field with a single Stonechat. I walked in and flushed the first Jack Snipe of the autumn. I also saw single Redstart, Tree Pipit, 23 Siskin and 3 Whinchat at Trewince.

  Elsewhere on St Mary's there were Redstart, Lesser Whitethroat, single Firecrest at Longstone and Deep Point and from 2 yesterday to now 3 Pectoral Sandpiper at Porth Hellick. also at Longstone were up to 30 Blackcap and 2 Yellow Wagtail. On St Agnes there were 1 Wryneck, 3 Firecrest and the Barred Warbler was still present. While on Bryher, 2 Ortolan Bunting were found near to Samson Hill.

On the morning of the 17th at the campsite, Garrison, there were at least 15 Blackcap in this bush with a single Whitethroat. The day before there was a Melodious Warbler in the area and a juvenile Rose-coloured Starling was on St Agnes 


Turin Brakes are a modern English duo, comprising Olly Knights and Gale Paridjanian, hailing from BalhamLondon. They had a UK top 5 hit with their song "Painkiller (Summer Rain)" and are joined on stage by their live band, consisting of Rob Allum and Eddy Myer. Since starting out in 1999, the band have sold around 1 million records internationally. They are currently signed to Cooking Vinyl.

No comments:

Post a Comment