Language Translator

Saturday 24 March 2012

2 HOOPOE in a day!

HOOPOE flying away from me at Mount Todden Farm

  At 9.30 Ritchie called me to say that Julian at Normandy House had a HOOPOE in his garden. I couldn't get up there for another 30 minutes and at 10.00, Robin called to tell me that they had seen it in the fields on the opposite side of the road from Normandy House. Another 40 minutes and I was almost at Normandy when I came across a visiting birder on the road. He told me that he just had the Hoopoe fly from Carn Friars towards Porth Hellick. Thinking that this could be a different one, we exchanged mobile numbers and he headed off to Porth Hellick and I carried on to Normandy. It was not until 11.45, after seaching all over the shop and only seeing 2 Redwing, that I flushed the damn thing off a wall at Mount Todden Farm in front of me. Just then Jim called and asked me where the Hoopoe was and as him and Jacqueline walked up the farm track, they got overhead heading off high towards Maypole. Jim also got a Swallow and trapped a Willow Warbler at Porth Hellick.

  Later I was on the mobile to Graham and watched number 2 HOOPOE of the day fly over the Garrison football field towards Star Castle where 925 observed it continue down towards the pottery. There were also 3 Black Redstart in the area and I got another 4 birds at Content. Graham had 2 Willow Warbler, White Wagtail and 3 Black Redstart on the St Agnes. He also trapped the 2nd St Agnes record of a TWIN-SPOTTED QUAKER two nights ago. With Doug Page having another Hoopoe on Agnes, were there 4 birds involved or was the Normandy individual very mobile, briefly visiting Carn Friars?  

TWIN-SPOTTED QUAKER Graham Gorden


3 Black Redstart and only 5 Chiffchaff were on the Garrison

3 of the 4 Black Redstart at Content

  A quick look at Lower Moors this evening produced this Green Sandpiper, 4 Snipe, White Wagtail and Grey Wagtail. Martin also got 7 White Wagtail at Porth Hellick

A first for me was a Coot on Porthloo Duckpond


  A quick look at Porth Hellick yeserday morning produced a Reeve feeding with a single Snipe and Greenshank on the far side. My first 2 White Wagtail of the year were on the beach and there up to 10 Chiffchaff in the area. At Deep Point there was a female Wheatear, on the Garrison 2 Black Redstart and the Lapwing flew over the airfield S. Later on while watching a single Black Redstart and 3 male Wheatear at Carn Moval, Robin called to say that he had a Reeve on the Tresco Abbey Pool. He also got 3 Short-eared Owl near the wood pile.


Greenshank, male Teal and Reeve


The guys went to have a look at the Reeve at Porth Hellick soon after I had found it. However, Robin was watching it on Tresco Great Pool where this pic was taken.



Male and female Wheatear


Wren and Blackbird


Springsteen and the one and only, Range Against Machine and The Night Nightwatchman, Tom Morello, singing 'The Ghost of Tom Joad' Live!

No comments:

Post a Comment